Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fellow Sites

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Earth's Mightiest Heroes // A SuperWhoAvengeLock RP
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 4:39 am by Guest

» Fujin (WIP)
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 pm by Elodie

» ZapdosZulu, pokemon RP
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:20 pm by Guest

» The Mysste Region [lb] - Pokemon Roleplay
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:05 am by Guest

» Mirage Hearts: Kingdom Hearts Alternate
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 pm by Guest

» The Month System
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm by Leo

» Great Escapes lead To Greater Beginnings
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 pm by Ptolemy Ravenway

» Never Dream of...
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm by Riley Oran

» The Continuity System
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 pm by Riley Oran

» Akrasia: Fantasy Wolf RPG
Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 pm by Guest

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 65 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 am
Statistics
We have 92 registered users
The newest registered user is meryil

Our users have posted a total of 1860 messages in 540 subjects

Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja?

2 posters

Go down

Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? Empty Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja?

Post by Artless_Artist Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Alright; so through my random mind, i came up with a character who is a ninja that follows the code of bushido...and while i was creating him...

Could a ninja follow the bushido; and still be considered ninja?

After all; the code of the Bushido is: Moral Righteousness, Courage, Benevolence, Respect, Honesty/Complete Sincerity, Honor, and Loyalty in that order.

And, while Ninja might be able to follow maybe one, or two; there are several that i think might conflict with a ninja's core being, which a secretive, dishonest occupation, conflicting with the code. 

What does everyone else think?
Artless_Artist
Artless_Artist

Back to top Go down

Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja? Empty Re: Can a ninja follow the code of bushido, and still be considered a Ninja?

Post by Riley Oran Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:33 pm

I think that this is an interesting topic of conversation. 

Before we start with this, we should probably look at what a Samurai (follower of Bushido) is versus a samurai. A samurai was a warrior that worked for the ruling class of Japan (or the rich). They followed Bushido even during combat, according to historical records. They weren't mercenaries, and typically loyal to a single individual or governing body. They almost always came from the upper class. 

The Ninja typical came from the poorer classes-- farmers, peasants, ect. They had no set code of ethics, and were total mercenaries that may have existed as early as the twelfth century. Later, they became covert operatives of the many Japanese governments that warred for control(around the fifteenth century). They primarily used sabotage, infiltration, and assassination to get the job done.

While Ninja had no set code of ethics, being secretive doesn't necessarily mean you are dishonorable. Rather, the way it is presented makes me think that going behind a person's back is dishonorable, but not in a way the implications things such as "righteous theft" where a person takes something back, though that is a morality issue and up to debate and interpretation.

In fact, only the first tenant of the code can be debated, since moral righteousness varies from places to people to whole groups. Without being romanticized, it is entirely possible that a ninja could exist who acts stealthily yet is courageous, benevolent, respectful, honest, honorable, and loyal. It might be a struggle finding a good balance, but not beyond reason. 

There are several shinobi manuals that exist, however. Most of which were published between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. A very popular example is the Bansenshukai (1676). Most of what we believe about ninja is based on the folklore surrounding them instead of actual facts that can be derived from works like these (as I'm sure you know).

That's my take on it, anyway.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down