Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fellow Sites

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Earth's Mightiest Heroes // A SuperWhoAvengeLock RP
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 4:39 am by Guest

» Fujin (WIP)
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 pm by Elodie

» ZapdosZulu, pokemon RP
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:20 pm by Guest

» The Mysste Region [lb] - Pokemon Roleplay
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 5:05 am by Guest

» Mirage Hearts: Kingdom Hearts Alternate
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 pm by Guest

» The Month System
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm by Leo

» Great Escapes lead To Greater Beginnings
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 pm by Ptolemy Ravenway

» Never Dream of...
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 7:37 pm by Riley Oran

» The Continuity System
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 1:26 pm by Riley Oran

» Akrasia: Fantasy Wolf RPG
Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 pm by Guest

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 65 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 am
Statistics
We have 92 registered users
The newest registered user is meryil

Our users have posted a total of 1860 messages in 540 subjects

Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore

+2
Riley Oran
Artless_Artist
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 Empty Re: Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore

Post by Sloth Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 am

Would it? If they're connected to The Core, then it seems that it could be a contractual power / obligation.

A "You are blessed with the power of Core Magic, but you must enforce my will across the Omniverse. If you break my will, you will stand trial. If found guilty, you lose your blessing" type deal.

Motivations should be left to characters, opposed to generalized, since Void Runners aren't a race. Any race can theoretically be a Void Runner if they have a spark connected to the Omniverse.

Things we've discussed off site that should be mentioned in this topic: Core Magic possibly affecting those with freedom.

If Core Magic can affect freedom, then it should only be able to accessed by those with innate connection, and blessing, to The Core. This means despite Cain enforcing its will, he is still a god and cannot use it, which keeps his history in check with the Dissident War.

New Void Runners could have been made BECAUSE of the Dissidents.

This would leave 3 magics, all extremely difficult and providing existential crisis that affects those with freedom; Sin, Virtue, and Core magics. Sin still being the most common available across the universe.
Sloth
Sloth

Profile : Sloth || A-Sin Eater

Back to top Go down

Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore - Page 2 Empty Re: Core/Virtue Magic, And Void Runner Lore

Post by Riley Oran Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 am

Yeah. With the Dissident still in existence, they'd need to be active again to remove the remaining ones that were a lingering threat. Cain can't do it because he holds himself to the Basic Order, but the Void Runners can

In addition, it makes sense for Void Runners to be especially effective against Dissident since they can use Core magic if it can in fact affect Freedom.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Fri May 09, 2014 11:28 am

Yeah, it'd also give a good timeframe between two sects of Void Runners. Those you initially mentioned and the new breed made in response to the Dissidents, considering the Gods cannot handle it due to lack of Sin, Virtue, and Core Magic, which I assume can affect Freedom if it's The Core's way of dealing with Dissidents.

What else do we need to establish though for this concept to come into fruition? I'm really liking how this connects with the rest of the lore so far.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Fri May 09, 2014 11:31 am

A big one would be what happened to the original Void Runners, if anything. Keep in mind that for a whole year the Gods were too mired in politics to attempt to resolve anything, and eventually Alexander was left to turn the tide.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 am

Mind explaining what you mean by turn the tide? A little more insight might be able to help me understand.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Fri May 09, 2014 11:57 am

While the details on the incident are scarce, Alexander was the one responsible for essentially committing Genocide against the Dissident in the last leg of that year-long struggle. When it came down to destroying the Dissident, most of the other beings in that world were unable to do so simply because of the hardy nature of the Dissident. Most conventional weaponry was completely ineffective against them because of their hardened bones and ability to recover from nearly every conceivable injury. 

In the end, it came down to Alexander killing most of them himself. Due to his status as an Alpha Dissident, his more complex problem solving abilities, his athletic skills and skill with his weapon Alexander was not only was able to outsmart the Dissident but he managed to find but outfight them, endure them, and outlast them.

But beyond that, where have the Void Runners been since before the basic order Doctrine as well? (Obviously they aren't in the timeline because they didn't exist until this topic) but what were they doing at the time to account for that? Were they simply busy elsewhere? Were they more subversive in past incarnations? Were they all gone for some reason? These questions add more depth to the lore.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Artless_Artist Fri May 09, 2014 12:23 pm

I would think they would have kept their existence a secret; and if they were containing balance; they were doing it subtly and from the background, regardless of their nature and power level; I would think because of that power that they wouldn't want to be extremely active, for fear that something stronger would wipe them from existence.

I would think they would be more active; if not found more often; in the Armageddon timeline in The Basic Order Doctrine. >.>
Artless_Artist
Artless_Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 pm

I think, Void Runners should have whatever Sin / Virtue energy converted into Core energy, so whatever feeds off of the respective energies starve around them, while that also becomes their own source of power. When they no longer enforce the will, the conversation stops, making them normal mortals. I think, that'd be the easiest way to grant and strip them of their powers without making it an external force. Thoughts?

Since the Dissidents are very recent, and Alexander had been handling them, there needs to be something else the Void Runners were dealing with.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 pm

As discussed with Riley, to hash out more details, this is what we've come up with so far:

-The first Void Runner existed Pre-Cain. By how much? I'm unsure. We're likely not defining a solid number.
-They're made over time, evolving as the problems they've faced had changed. First, when dealing with Suhb, Core magic had not yet existed, giving them only their physical properties.
-Eventually, to help fight those with Freedom and keep them in line, Void Runners have their Sin and Virtue energy converted to Core energy, so they can use it for Core magic. This essentially makes them their own battery, giving them nigh infinite energy.
-Core energy is actually more refined than either Sin and Virtue energy. This allows Core magic to affect and hurt Gods, however, killing a God requires effort. Depending on the God, and the respective Void Runners, you'd potentially need 1 - 100 (example, not set in stone).
-Subh likely killed quite a few Void Runners, before circumstance dictated Ryuu would defeat him.
-Void Runners aren't restricted by Basic Order and can interfere with many events, as long as it doesn't betray The Core's will.
-A Void Runner's Fate is death as a Void Runner, unless they become stripped of their powers and become mortal.

I'm unsure if I've missed anything else. If I have, Riley will let me know. Any thoughts / elaborations / more contributions?
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Artless_Artist Fri May 09, 2014 8:20 pm

I like it so far....sorry if I haven't been helping much >_<

So, they are ultimately powerful;  and I wouldn't think world creation was out of reach; but that's a personal thought.

What happens if one goes against the cores will...or rather; besides the balance of the omniverse; what exactly would the Cores will be?
Artless_Artist
Artless_Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Fri May 09, 2014 8:25 pm

I'd assume they'd be powerful in specific ways. For example, while powerful, they wouldn't necessarily be given the authority to create a dimension or anything of the sorts. Or maybe they could, I'm unsure. I saw them more as enforcers, opposed to creators. They don't have as much freedom with their power in that sense.

If they go against The Core's will, I assume they immediately lose their power, regardless of the situation they're in. Meaning, they might end up in space, lose their power, and then die because of it.

I'm unsure what the rest of The Core's will is.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Fri May 09, 2014 8:56 pm

The Core's will (as well as a lot of Cain's logic) is essentially just balance. Beyond that, we start trying to literally read a god's mind, and even though I'm creator I can't really say with certainty what that may be because it's literally beyond comprehension. I'm not fucking around to say nobody alive in real life has the ability to comprehend exactly what the Core's Will translates to. 

I can say that it's not some form of nobility and honor. The Core exists as the center of the Omniverse, and simply is attempting to preserve it's existence without going to far in one direction as to be un-savable. Likely the Void Runners were chosen not at random, but because they ultimately lend themselves to that goal through means not exactly clear to them.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Artless_Artist Fri May 09, 2014 9:52 pm

So like L-cie off of final fantasy; it's up to the Void Runner's to find it for themselves?
Artless_Artist
Artless_Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm

In a way, yes. The core chose that person for a specific reason. Whether they are a goodhearted girl or a bastard of a man-child, there is a reason that they specifically would have become a Void Runner.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Artless_Artist Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 pm

Okay then. ^^

I like it so far; do we need to add anything?
Artless_Artist
Artless_Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky_Rose Sun May 11, 2014 2:28 pm

I actually do have a few points that I'd like to address, that I came across as I was contemplating Rosse.

Are Voidrunners close to one another? Do they identify themselves as a community, or are they more like lone wolves? I can imagine some being moreso than others. Some may identify themselves foremost as Voidrunners, while others may think themselves as their original species first and then a runner secondmost. Like everything else, it all varies from person to person I suppose.

It's clear they went into hiding before the Cain incident occurred--where did they go? Are some of them still at the location where they went into hiding? Did they pull a Jedi and just scatter off in their own directions? If the former is right, they've established some sort of community over time, which means a separate culture of JUST voidrunners has been established, which means that the runners have become an even deeper subject--how does said culture function? What are its basic boundaries, and foundations? 

How do you know you're a runner? Does the Core just tell you? Do you get some kind of marking or sign, identifying you as one of their kind? Do other Voidrunners find you, swoop you off Matrix-Morpheus style, and explain everything to you?

What about a person's life before becoming a runner? Does it even matter to them anymore? Do they forget, so as to better focus on the will of the Core? That does seem more efficient. If I were an all-powerful manifestation, I think I'd probably go the latter route to avoid my minions getting all emotional and start hating me. If that's the case, it would be interesting to see a character's development progress in such a way.

There's got to be another force besides the Core keeping track of all these runners, and making sure they're not f*ckin' up--maybe a much stronger or older Voidrunner, perhaps even one of the originals? Obviously the Core can't do everything--because it's making other people enforce its will instead of doing it itself.

If the above is the case, how does one tell if one runner is stronger than another? Is there some form of power scaling they use in order to able to establish a hierarchy with that?

How do Voidrunners determine whether or not the omniverse has shifted from one side or another too greatly? Does the Core just tell them? Do they get some kind of ominous vision or something? Can they even see the condition of the multiverse, or are they just taking a wild guess? If they can, how is it possible--by what means are they seeing it, and how would it work? There obviously needs to be rules and limitations, since they are (obviously) not all powerful.

If a Voidrunner refuses the will of the Core and their powers are stripped, what happens to the former runner? Do they just continue their normal lives? That seems anticlimactic to me. I personally love the L'Cie route, where if you mess up, you're screwed, and if you succeed, you're screwed. That sort of desperation really helps build a character.

....just not in Final Fantasy 13, where your cast is either pink-haired Cloud Strife, "SERAAAAAAAAAH," or cardboard. >.>

I think I may have actually come up with solutions to all of these snags in the overall design of the runners themselves, but I wanted to see if anybody else could get some input in. I'm curious. 
It's one thing to have a design structure for a certain aspect of a universe, but you do have to cover all the angles to ensure that there's absolutely no confusion. Right now, we only really have a bare basics of what we understand Voidrunners to be.
Pinky_Rose
Pinky_Rose

Female
Profile : Pinky
Anubis, Egyptian God of the Afterlife
Job/hobbies : Writer/Critic

Humor : 1 Part Vulgar, 1 Part Slapstick

Birthday : 1992-04-06

http://www.khsk.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Sun May 11, 2014 3:36 pm

When Void Runners are created, I imagine they take part in a Dive To Heart-esque scenario. They either accept the will of The Core, as well as the rest of its responsibilities, or they deny it and return to their mortal lives. When they accept, there's typically a large influx of energy that causes a large explosion, with them as the epicenter.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario. It really plays into the idea of a Void Runners Fate, which is to die.

Personal relations should stay personal relations, although if there is an established community, and culture, which there likely is considering how long they've existed, that would take part in how their relations form.

Personally, I see The Core as a computer and the Void Runners as additional programs. The Core could always return to factory settings if things become too unstable, but it'd rather not lose the progress.

So, while The Core can observe everything, excluding pocket dimensions, the way it potentially interacts is far too destructive for the finesse most issues require. This is why it would create Void Runners. Then again, these are my assumptions of The Core.

As time progressed it only makes sense that a community formed, which means a hierarchy, although that'd be an establishment created by the Void Runners, not The Core. Before establishing the potential community, because that'll likely take longer, I imagined Void Runners could see whether or not other entities had sparks. There would innately be something different about sparks that were blessed by The Core, which allows them to know who is and isn't a Void Runner. It could likely help them identify artificial sparks that are / aren't connected to The Core too.

Power levels? No idea. Maybe, there's a way to handle seniority and rank, if that's part of their community, but I'm unsure if that'd be related to power levels. I assumed they were all relatively the same strength, or at least given access to it, but their skill and experience helped them use what they had more efficiently, based on who they were.

I also prefer to have them remember their lives, after all, they were likely chosen for some specific reason, opposed to just being pure slaves to The Core's will. I also think their past might potentially help with their duties as a Void Runner, since it can prove some sort of motivation. Anyway, I didn't answer too much, because I want some clarification on some of the things I've said, since they're not necessarily accurate, just my perspective. I'll be awaiting Riley's post.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

So, I'm not sure if there is a preference in what order I'll tackle this, so I'll just hammer it out in a more ordered manner that I was originally, starting with how the Core is connected to these Void Runners and why it would need them.

Alright, so all things have a spark (a soul). This spark is actually a piece of a much larger spark, which is itself merely a piece of the Spark of life. When a spark is sent to Limbo it becomes complete, and is sent back through the SoL. There, all the "data" from the spark is pulled into the Core, the spark itself is cleansed, and once more broken up into pieces to begin the cycle of reincarnation across all of the dimensions and universes. 

The Core is connected to the Spark, which is connected to the smaller sparks, which are actually just pieces of a larger piece. However there are some sparks that are connected Directly to the Core, and the twenty-seven beings that wield them are called Tethers. They exist outside the natural cycle of reincarnation and feed information to the Core in real time through all of reality. In a way, becoming a Void Runner is similar to being elected to a tether, though Tethers typically have no super natural powers and are virtually indistinguishable from other mortals aside from their odd sparks.

The problem is that the Core, by it's nature, can only create and not destroy. In addition, it's influence was limited to the creation of the Omniverse itself, and not the beings within it. That came through the Spark of Life. In essence: the Core can only affect things on a huge level. Sparks and mortals are beyond microscopic to it. Attempting to resolve those problems would potentially result in massive overkill. A parallel in this is that the Core's proxy, Cain, can created beings called "The Touched" in order to keep his destructive powers from becoming necessary, and these beings could be seen as Void Runners if they were limited to a single plane (and were more inflexible).

In fact, the touch practically mirror the earlier instances of the Void Runners. I would think that a person could be chosen to be a Void Runner, and never made aware of it until well after the fact. Maybe it is through a sequence not unlike a dive to the heart, but even then that could be dismissed as just a dream. Likely unless a being existed that was either able to sense sparks or was highly in tune with it's own, it wouldn't know something was amiss until it's powers were unleashed.

So where did the Void Runners go? It might not even be that all of them went into hiding. Keep in mind Suhb was only actively pursuing energy beings. If through some circumstance an Energy Being had become a Void Runner, that would be the only feasible reason for him to actively hunt them. However Suhb was actively exterminating an important part of the Omniverses ecosystem. The energy beings fed on Sin Energy, which is already damaging if not lethal to normal mortals in even small amounts. 

In addition, Suhb was invading and also connecting literally millions of worlds. The dimensions are divided because it's easier to stabilize things if they are smaller. Suhb creating breaches was a serious threat to existence, even if he didn't have the scope to realize it. Because no beings gave heed to the Omniverse's will it had to find beings that had already been created by the spark and empower them for it's own survival.

So, it sent these Void Runners-- the first imperfects-- after Suhb, and continued to send more and more refined Void Runners after Suhb for literally millions of years with no success. Suhb repeatedly slayed them, and eventually the Omniverse would have had to become more intelligent with it's designs. A lot of Void Runners may have been made to close the breaches Suhb had created, while some merely went to thwart military operations, but direct assaults on Suhb had by this point become a very poor choice. 

There were probably very few Void Runners left by this point simply because they didn't have to keep being remade. Void Runners were strong enough to throw wrenches in Suhb's plan, but not strong enough to confront him directly. Very likely, with a now much lower turn-over rate they were able to actually live long enough to develop connections with one another and therefore communities. Likely, Void Runners would be a tight knit group, but there would more than likely be lone wolves among them as well.

As for power, that's not so much rated as it would be genetically and geographically dependent in my mind. Think about it like this: some beings, like the Amaranth, are naturally stronger than humans, so an Amaranth Void Runner would be stronger than a Human Void Runner. However, if a Human Void Runner is standing in a location chock-full of Sin/Virtue energy to convert into Core energy, they definitely have an edge against a being without this same trait. Simply being around mortal beings would empower a Void Runner, so grading their power would be a difficult task. If hierarchy came down to anything, it would be probably be a combination of respect, age and experience.

As for their memories? For the most part, yes, I believe they would remember. After all, they're memories give them the traits that made them a Void Runner, BUT that is not to say that memory loss is impossible. If the Void Runners are indeed created in an explosion, there is always a chance for head trauma. This may not make them automatically useless, however, and likely they would be allowed to keep their power until a time they proved they were unworthy of having them.

As for the knowledge of whether or not it shifts, I wouldn't expect a notification. The shifts happen over millions of years, and likely if a Void Runner lived that long they'd be able to detect the shift on their own. I wouldn't expect them to immediately understand the specific nature of it, but it would be a clear shift from Order to Chaos. Imagine smelling rain before it comes. In terms of what happens to them if they become a Void Runner: they are a Void Runner until death or until they are stripped of their powers. As for what happens to those that are stripped... I literally haven't the slightest clue. 

That's just my two cents, and I'm interested in hearing another side to this. None of what I theorized here is necessarily canon, it's all just for the sake of clarity.

Post Script:
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky_Rose Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 am

Riley Oran wrote:The problem is that the Core, by it's nature, can only create and not destroy. In addition, it's influence was limited to the creation of the Omniverse itself, and not the beings within it. That came through the Spark of Life. In essence: the Core can only affect things on a huge level. Sparks and mortals are beyond microscopic to it. Attempting to resolve those problems would potentially result in massive overkill. A parallel in this is that the Core's proxy, Cain, can created beings called "The Touched" in order to keep his destructive powers from becoming necessary, and these beings could be seen as Void Runners if they were limited to a single plane (and were more inflexible).

That was what I thought. If the Core is too large in itself to affect things save en masse, something like the Core stripping away the powers from a mere mortal would be completely and utterly devastating to the poor target. I can only assume in that case, that the bulk of Voidrunners would more than likely die from refusing the will of the Core.
Unless there is some other kind of method in which one might be able to strip a Runner from his or her abilities; the idea of an item with said source was mentioned earlier, but was not confirmed. If that is the case, who is to say that anybody can't waltz up and take the powers from a Voidrunner?

I do have an alternate suggestion however--a primal Voidrunner, that is a very special type of its particular kind. I'll call it a "Keeper" for the sake of continuity. Think of this Keeper as the Professor X of Voidrunners, and whatever pocket dimension they reside in as like...the X-Men HQ. (...I swear I could not think of a better example off the top of my head.)
You could have the Core strip said Runner of their powers, which would probably kill them on the spot more likely than not. A better alternative unless you want them dying off every time they decide not to follow orders, would have some form of top-gun Voidrunner pop in and zap them away or some other nonsense to that effect.
I am of course, just throwing these things out here. I like to think of the Keeper as a Runner that is basically one of the oldest and most experienced of their kind; maybe even a survivor of some conflict between former Runners and Subh's forces, and sort of oversees the others as (again, I keep referring back to this for some reason,) a sort of Professor X-ish type individual...perhaps more in function than personality.
I don't know. I'm sort of typing this as I'm thinking about it.

So, it sent these Void Runners-- the first imperfects-- after Suhb, and continued to send more and more refined Void Runners after Suhb for literally millions of years with no success. Suhb repeatedly slayed them, and eventually the Omniverse would have had to become more intelligent with it's designs. A lot of Void Runners may have been made to close the breaches Suhb had created, while some merely went to thwart military operations, but direct assaults on Suhb had by this point become a very poor choice. 

If this is the case, why not go after Void Runners? Subh might be a bit cocky like most antagonists are, but an intelligent one is going to remove all threats (any threats) from its presence by any means. It doesn't make much sense as to why he wouldn't pursue them.

There were probably very few Void Runners left by this point simply because they didn't have to keep being remade. Void Runners were strong enough to throw wrenches in Suhb's plan, but not strong enough to confront him directly. Very likely, with a now much lower turn-over rate they were able to actually live long enough to develop connections with one another and therefore communities. Likely, Void Runners would be a tight knit group, but there would more than likely be lone wolves among them as well.

I do like to think there's some sort of Batcave where there are some few Void Runners, scouting out the Multiverse and keeping track of things, as well as keeping an eye out for other Runners. It makes sense for at least some of them to be more organized. Of course, not all of them may have been picked up, or wanted to join the club--again, I'm tossing ideas around and seeing if they even make sense. My general understanding of the whole omniverse is particularly standard at best.

If hierarchy came down to anything, it would be probably be a combination of respect, age and experience.
I thought as much. Again, my mind can't seem to not go back to the Keeper.

As for their memories? For the most part, yes, I believe they would remember. After all, they're memories give them the traits that made them a Void Runner, BUT that is not to say that memory loss is impossible. If the Void Runners are indeed created in an explosion, there is always a chance for head trauma. This may not make them automatically useless, however, and likely they would be allowed to keep their power until a time they proved they were unworthy of having them.
I don't think losing one's former life would render the person incapable of having the qualities needed to become a Runner--just because you don't remember, doesn't entirely mean that they aren't still there. I use Kingdom Hearts as an example only because I am most versed in their lore: Naminé stated that simply because you forget something, does not mean that it's gone. Your mind has only really misplaced the information, just as it does in the case of normal people every day--we only have a small access to the overall capabilities our brains have, after all.

As for the knowledge of whether or not it shifts, I wouldn't expect a notification. The shifts happen over millions of years, and likely if a Void Runner lived that long they'd be able to detect the shift on their own. I wouldn't expect them to immediately understand the specific nature of it, but it would be a clear shift from Order to Chaos. Imagine smelling rain before it comes.
That makes a lot of sense. It would be incredibly cliché to have some sort of spider sense (jeeze I keep jumping back to Marvel, what is with me today--) going off telling them the specifics. And the example you used is actually quite a good one, I might add. Though, for the sake of boredom and plot, those shifts might be happening a lot more frequently. There are very few tales that have been written where people go into detail about millenniums of peace or chaos for too terribly long. A bulk of them gloss over it if there's a large gap.

That's just my two cents, and I'm interested in hearing another side to this. None of what I theorized here is necessarily canon, it's all just for the sake of clarity.
Likewise. I like tossing around ideas like this. Brainstorming is always fun. I could definitely get used to this.

And to be more clear: I am a little bit not very sober. I apologize for the various typos and me repeating myself. I should have waited until I was more in my right mind but I'm too damn excited.
...You type WAY better than I do when I am hammered, and therefore get kudos from me.

Sloth Wrote:

"As time progressed it only makes sense that a community formed, which means a hierarchy, although that'd be an establishment created by the Void Runners, not The Core. Before establishing the potential community, because that'll likely take longer, I imagined Void Runners could see whether or not other entities had sparks. There would innately be something different about sparks that were blessed by The Core, which allows them to know who is and isn't a Void Runner. It could likely help them identify artificial sparks that are / aren't connected to The Core too."

Again, I return back to the idea of the Keeper. If it is true that Runners can see certain types of sparks, it would also mean, as you mentioned, they can identify other Void Runners.  If that's the case, I once again refer to X-Men--it's likely that there's SOME form of organization within the Runners that gathers others up, plops them to wherever they're hiding out at, and sort of help them better utilize their powers or whatnot.

Responses in yellow. Everything's just an idea being thrown around.
Pinky_Rose
Pinky_Rose

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloth Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 am

I, personally, oppose an external force, such as a weapon, granting them their power. I'd prefer their spark literally being augmented, which gives them their power, which is why they would be able to tell Void Runners apart from non-Void Runners via Spark Sensing/Reading/Whatever we name the ability.

It also helps justify the natural Sin/Virtue to Core energy refinement process, which occurs in Void Runners, allowing them to use Core Magic.

It would also explain why augmentation of the spark, after the initial blessing from normal to Void Runner would be deadly, since it takes away the augmented spark in its entirety, leaving the Void Runner dead.

Although, I don't see why people wouldn't be able to manifest this power in the form of a weapon. I just don't like the mandatory aspect of it. *shrug*

I'm a fan of having an organization and having a specific pocket dimension for it. I also enjoy the idea of other Void Runners detecting things, but not being all knowing with the details. That'd be too bland. It'd also give a reason for them to search for the new VR's, but gives the new VR's a chance to experiment with their powers themselves and not necessarily join the organization, despite it typically being to their benefit.

I'd say there'd likely be a council at the top, opposed to an individual. Helps preserve the whole balance thing. We could easily pluralize Keeper to Keepers.

I can see both remembering or not remembering the past being interesting ways to develop characters with this new experience. So, I'm indifferent here.
Sloth
Sloth

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky_Rose Wed May 21, 2014 12:31 am

Emile Rivers wrote:Since there's nothing officially posted. We should totally discuss Void Runners, Sparks, and Core Energy in more detail. Maybe, establish what we've been working on?

Anyway, I thought Void Runners primarily used their own inward energy to have this weird infinite supply of energy thing via Sin and Virtue magic, but their body couldn't use it forever, hence stamina and the body getting tired. They could definitely use outside sources, but they don't feed on it the same way Sin Eaters do on Sin Energy.

Anyway, that's my interpretation. I dunno if you'd wanna take this to the OOC topic. I'm fine with either. Collaborating is gr9, because a group working together is always more fun than the individual.

Let's discuss, shall we? ((And yes, I am too lazy/tired to retype all this.))
Pinky_Rose
Pinky_Rose

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 am

Well, when posting in the Virtue Magic topic and trying to explain how I saw Sin and Virtue as not necessarily opposites in a traditional sense, something sort of hit me relating to Core energy.

What if Core Energy, rather than a "filtered" version of Virtue/Sin Energy was actually the complete form of them? I was describing the two as "closer to two parts of a whole". It would lend itself to the fact that Void Runners are agents of a balance, and would make how they actually accessed their powers very interesting.

Think: in combat, in order to keep your power maximum you'd have to stay level-headed. If you get to invested in the fight (maybe you're enjoying it, or maybe you're angry) you start to gradually loose effectiveness, because you aren't giving your own internal generator what it would need to power itself. Just a thought that interested me.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinky_Rose Wed May 21, 2014 9:20 pm

We do need to establish a lot in concerns with the Runners, imo. There are a ton of blank spots that sort of need to be filled.
Pinky_Rose
Pinky_Rose

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Emile Rivers Wed May 21, 2014 11:47 pm

We need to establish certain things:

-How exactly does Core energy work?
-What Abilities do Void Runners have BECAUSE of Core Energy? i.e Seeing other people's spark or the lack thereof.
-Are there any limitations to these abilities? Are requirements needed? Are there any drawbacks? This admittedly falls into the prior two, but more specified, I suppose.
-How do Void Runners interact? Do they have a code of a way they need to behave?
-How does their society function? What is their pocket dimension like? What's their hierarchy? How does this define the prior question? Etc. etc. Relations amongst others such as Gods should also be noted.
Emile Rivers
Emile Rivers

Profile : Void Runner

Back to top Go down

Post by Riley Oran Thu May 22, 2014 2:30 am

As a suggestion, why don't we break some of these off into their own topic? It would definitely cut down on the amount that we have to cover in a single topic, thus making our posts a lot more concise and relevant. Instead of having all of these happening in a single post that everybody then needs to read and sort out, we can spread it out through multiple topics. Specifically, Core Energy and what it does for the beings that wield it could be it's own thread.
Riley Oran
Riley Oran

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2